Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Chiasmus


Mormon apologists love to bring up the existence of chiasmi in The Book of Mormon as a strong indication that the writing is seeped in Hebrew literary culture. It sounds great. For those of us who want to believe, this is when you pop the champagne cork and get to celebrating the truthfulness of The Book of Mormon.

However, it might not be a bad idea to hold off on celebrating and look at the pervasiveness of chiasmi in other literary works. What are we to make of the fact that, in addition to great authors like Shakespeare, nursery rhimes and children's books also use chiasmi? Finding a chiasmus is always fun, but does it really mean what we want it to mean?


PS. So looking back on what I wrote I found that I had unintentionally created a rather complex chiasmus. The only thing I added was "hold off on celebrating and" to the second paragraph. Check it out.

(A) Mormon apologists  
(B) love to
(C) bring up the existence of chiasmi
(D) in The Book of Mormon as a strong indication that
(E) the writing is seeped in Hebrew literary culture.
(F) It sounds great. For those of us who want to  
(G) believe, this is when  
(H) you pop the champagne cork and get to celebrating 
(I) the truthfulness of The Book of Mormon.

(I) However, it might not be a bad idea
(H) to hold off on celebrating and  
(G) look at the
(E) pervasiveness of chiasmi in other literary works.
(F) What are we to make of the fact that,  
(D) in addition to great authors like Shakespeare, nursery rhimes and children's books also use chiasmi?
(C) Finding a chiasmus is always  
(B) fun, but does it really mean what  
(A) we want it to mean?

As you can see (F) and (E) trade places in the second part, but I have to say I'm kind of proud of myself. I must be an ancient Hebrew at heart. Oh wait, I am! I'm totally the tribe of Ephraim!

No comments:

Post a Comment